Applications for the Fall 2014 are now closed. Applications for the Spring program will open on November 1st, 2014.
R4R Youth Fitness Program is a program designed to combat childhood obesity in at-risk youth by educating young people and their families on fitness and nutrition. The Runnin’ for Rhett Foundation makes our nutrition and fitness program available to schools in the 4-county Sacramento area.
A Runnin’ for Rhett representative will meet with school officials, coaches, participants and their families to share Rhett’s story, offering motivation and encouragement to ensure a meaningful experience for all. During the 5-week training program, the students meet two-times per week with coaches to learn about proper running technique, stretches, and nutrition. In addition to training, each participant receives race entrance, a Runnin’ for Rhett t-shirt and wristband, and a finishing medal. Coaches are paid a stipend, for their time, ranging from $100 to $250, depending on the number of students that are participating in the after school training.
Our hope is to use this program to touch the lives of all youth from a wide variety of different backgrounds. It is our experience that youth who feel like part of a team - accepted and encouraged - hold a higher self-worth, and will be more prepared for life's challenges.
If you are interested in applying for our program, please be sure you are able to fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Your school site is able to make a commitment to a 2 day a week, 5-week training program.
- A teacher/advisor can attend a mandatory coaches meeting with our trainers:
- Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 – Coaches meeting at Sports Authority, 8217 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA – 7pm to 8pm
- Thursday, September 11th, 2014 – Coaches meeting at Sports Authority, 1700 Arden Way, Sacramento, CA – 7pm to 8pm
- Your school site is able to attend the "RUN BECAUSE YOU CAN 5K, 10K AND KID’S RUN" on Sunday, November 2nd, 2014. The Youth Fitness Program 5K race will start PROMPTLY at 8:36am. The event is held at Crocker Park in downtown Sacramento. (corner of 3rd and N Streets)
- If your school is new to our program, we require that you host a PRE-ASSEMBLY kickoff, in which a Runnin’ for Rhett representative will present to your school student body & parents the inspiring story of Runnin’ for Rhett. Our representative will encourage your students and/or parents to participate in the program. For returning schools, a video will be made available to share with your student body. The video will share our story and encourage participation. We have found that schools that regularly host a Runnin’ for Rhett pre-assembly have better parent and youth participation. It is a requirement of the program, that one of these two options be completed.
- Runnin’ for Rhett will make every effort to supply your school with a Runnin’ for Rhett Volunteer liaison. This volunteer R4R representative will assist you with curriculum, 1-time per week, during the 5-weeks of training.
The Runnin’ for Rhett Foundation encourages the participation of children with special needs, and is willing to facilitate this in any way needed.
Click on the "Submit Application" link on this page.
For additional questions, please contact Karin Springer at Karin@runninforrhett.org