Important Upcoming Dates!
- Applications Open: November 2, 2015
- Applications Close: February 26, 2016
- Grants will be Awarded: February 29, 2016
- Coaches Trainings: February 1 or 3, 2016 or March 7 or 9, 2016
- Liaison Trainings: March 1, 2016, 7 p.m. at McKinley Park and March 7, 2016, 7 p.m. at the Elk Grove Sports Authority
- Youth Fitness Program Training Starts: March 22 or 29, 2016 (depending on Spring Break)
- 5k Race: May 1, 2016
R4R Youth Fitness Program
R4R Youth Fitness Program is designed to combat childhood obesity in at-risk youth by educating young people and their families on fitness and nutrition. The Runnin’ for Rhett Foundation makes training available at no charge to schools in the 4-county Sacramento area.
Rhett’s parents, Randy and Beth Seevers, meet with school officials, coaches, participants and their families to share Rhett’s story, offering motivation and encouragement to ensure a meaningful experience for all. During the 5-week training program, the students meet two times per week with coaches to learn about proper running technique, stretches, and nutrition. In addition to training, each participant receives race entrance to the Run Because You Can, a Runnin’ for Rhett t-shirt and wristband, and a finishing medal.
Coaches are made up of teachers, staff, or parents, of each school and are paid a stipend for their time, ranging from $100 to $250, depending on the number of students that are participating in the after school training.
Our hope is to use this program to touch the lives of all youth from a wide variety of different backgrounds. It is our experience that youth who feel like part of a team – accepted and encouraged – hold a higher self-worth, and will be more prepared for life’s challenges.
For more information, contact Karin@runninforrhett.org.